Year 1/2 Teacher (Two terms initially, from Jan 2021, with a view to becoming permanent)
Year 1/2 Teacher
(Two terms initially, from Jan 2021, with a view to becoming permanent)
Headteacher and Trustees of Stella Maris School.
Main Purpose of the Post
Responsibility for teaching a vertically grouped class of Year 1/2 children, providing a high quality of educational experience for all pupils.
To take responsibility for an area of the Curriculum.
To be involved in the extracurricular life of the school.
• To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of pupils at the school and liaising with the designated child protection officers when aware of any concerns.
• To promote the safety and well-being of all pupils.
• To deliver high quality teaching to all pupils in your class.
• To review long and medium term plans in collaboration with other staff.
• To work with other staff to ensure that the planned Curriculum is lively and exciting.
• To use ICT effectively to support learning and teaching.
• To assess, monitor, record and report on the learning needs, progress and achievements of the pupils in your class.
• To maintain good order and discipline at all times.
• To establish good relationships with the parents of the children in your care and be approachable at all times if parents wish to speak with you or ask for progress updates.
• To be able to teach a vertically grouped class, ensuring that both the Year 1 and Year 2 children access their individual Curriculum.
• To liaise with other teachers and share good practice.
• To contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s policies, practices and procedures in such a way as to support the school’s values and vision.
• To develop and enhance the policy for your Curriculum area under the guidance of the Headteacher.
• To provide the Headteacher with relevant information and academic updates relating to the children in your care.
• To participate in arrangements for the appraisal and review of your own performance and to participate in opportunities for professional development.
• To participate in extracurricular activities where appropriate and to become involved in the life of the school.
• To participate in recruitment activities which promote the school and attend Open Mornings and other recruitment events when required to do so.
Stella Maris School
Person Specification: Year 1/2 Class Teacher
Qualifications Qualified Teacher status.
Evidence of continuous professional development. Pediatric or general first aid training certificate.
Experience The Class Teacher should have experience of teaching KS 1 and working in partnership with parents and carers.
Have at least 5 years classroom experience as a qualified teacher with responsibility for a whole class.
Good IT skills and knowledge of using IT in a class setting and as part of remote learning, if required to do so. Some experience of teaching in other age groups.
Mentoring other staff or NQTs.
Curriculum Leadership/middle management experience.
Knowledge and understanding The Class Teacher should have knowledge and understanding of:
• the statutory requirements relating to Child Protection
• the theory and practice of providing effectively for the individual needs of all children
• the monitoring, assessment, recording and reporting of pupils’ progress
• the preparation and administration of assessment and evaluation
• the statutory requirements and legislation concerning Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety and SEN
• the ability to form positive links with all school stakeholders In addition, the Class Teacher might also have knowledge and understanding of practices and changes in mainstream education and current legislation relating to such.
Skills The Class Teacher will be able to:
• promote the school’s aims positively and use effective strategies to motivate learners
• develop good relationships within a team
• establish and develop close relationships with parents, Trustees and the community
• communicate effectively
• create a happy, challenging and effective learning environment In addition, the Class Teacher might be able to use personal skills and qualifications in other areas of their life to enhance the general life of the school.
Personal characteristics Approachable Enthusiastic Energetic
Committed Flexible Organised
Closing date for all applications: Friday 13th November 2020
Interviews will take place mid November
Application forms together with a covering letter should be sent by email to
Mrs Norah Johnson - Headteacher.
Shortlisting and interviews will take place in early November.